Discover the required skills, daily responsibilities, and salary potential of a product owner. Explore statistics surrounding industry growth, weekly hours, common qualifications, and common areas of employment.
Product owners are typically responsible for a company’s scrum team, helping establish a roadmap for the product development process, and supervising operations throughout the product lifecycle. They possess a thorough knowledge of the product being developed and ensure client concerns and requirements are addressed at every stage.
Alongside scrum teams, product owners also communicate with other, related departments such as marketing and sales. They ensure all relevant stakeholders are on board the latest project updates, developments, and objectives; providing project members with the necessary support or guidance they need. On a day-to-day basis, product owners may lead team meetings, set daily goals, manage schedules, and assess client needs and expectations.
As a subsect of project managers, product owners can expect employment growth within the next five years – with a projected 6.2% job growth, according to SEEK statistics.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills for guiding, supporting, and fostering collaboration among scrum teams
- Excellent time management and organisational skills for managing project schedules, budgets, and human resources
- Strong knowledge of the scrum framework and product development process
- Critical thinking and analysis skills for identifying product issues, applying improvements, and ensuring development process aligns with client requirements
- Ability to multi-task and work well under pressure
- Agility and adaptability; able to adjust the development process according to changing client needs or circumstances
Product owners can find work in most regions of Australia, with New South Wales currently holding the largest share of workers. Weekly salary potential is currently higher ($1,660) than the all job average ($1,460) with plenty of opportunity for full-time work.
$78,000 – $157,000 (Median: $112,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
43 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
*Source: Job Outlook
Public Administration and Safety; Construction; and Education and Training
Most Common Qualification Level
31.4% hold a Bachelor’s Degree
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- Certified Project Management Professional
- ICT40120 – Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking)
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cyber Security Professional
- Certified Data Science Professional
- Certified Microsoft Full Stack Developer
- Cloud Computing Certified Professional
Get the latest news from AIICT, industry updates and course information.
A BALANCED APPROACH TO TRAINING WITH DDLS
DDLS is Australia’s largest provider of corporate IT and process training, with the widest portfolio of strategic partners and courses in Australia. For more than 25 years, DDLS has been an award-winning non-accredited training provider, spanning across Australia and into Asia.
DDLS partners with world-class companies to help organisations and individuals in the IT industry remain up-to-date with new processes, technology and platforms to reduce risk and enable efficient business practices.
GAIN A COMPETITIVE EDGE WITH THE MICROSOFT AZURE
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching provides developer tools and learning resources that students need to build their cloud-based skills. It also allows students to build, deploy, and manage applications with comprehensive Azure cloud services. Whether you’re a student getting started, or just interested in building cloud-based skills in your community, this platform has got the cloud development resources you need. Azure based tools and environments are profoundly used during the AIICT learning cycle and assist the students in becoming familiar with the Microsoft Azure environment utilised in the IT industry.
Specifically designed around building your expertise in today’s most popular technologies, the Microsoft Imagine Academy is focused on helping you to gain Microsoft Certification, a globally recognised credential that will give you a distinctive edge in the competitive job market.
GLOBALLY RECOGNISED CERTIFICATIONS TO PUT YOU AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION
For our Certified Cybersecurity Professional course offering, AIICT has partnered with the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA). CompTIA is the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications in the world. These certifications are accredited by International Organisation for Standardisation and the American National Standards Institute (ISO/ANSI)