Discover the daily responsibilities, required skills, and employment opportunities of an automation engineer. Explore statistics surrounding industry growth, salary potential, and most commonly-held qualifications in the field.
Automation engineers are tasked with ensuring a business’ automated processes are built, maintained, and performing as necessary. They may be tasked with identifying new business opportunities for automation or develop automated solutions according to client or company needs. Once an automated process is developed, these experts may then run tests across network, systems, databases, and software to ensure optimal, error-free performance.
Automation engineers must also have a strong grasp of a business’ regulations and service/product quality standards. Their solutions should ensure productivity, while also maintaining quality and adhering to business protocols.
As a subset of software developers, job opportunities for the field are expected to grow very strongly in the next five years – with a projected 23.4% growth, according to SEEK statistics.
- A high-level understanding of computer software, hardware, networks, and systems
- Excellent communication skills for collaborating and communicating with clients, developers, and customers
- Problem-solving, critical thinking, and creative skills for pinpointing automation opportunities and applying the appropriate solutions
- Extensive knowledge of programming languages, including SQL, C#, and Java (languages and coding tools may vary depending on your industry)
- Strong knowledge of robotics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, and analytics
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills for guiding business/clients through automation solutions and opportunities
Automation engineers can find work in most regions of Australia, with New South Wales and Victoria currently holding the largest share of workers. Weekly salary potential is currently higher ($2,003) than the all job average ($1,460) with plenty of opportunity for full-time work.
$59,000 – $120,000 (Median: $82,000)*
Average Weekly Hours
41 hours (vs. all jobs average of 44 hours)*
*Source: Job Outlook
Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services; Financial and Insurance Services; and Public Administration and Safety
Getting the skills you need is simple by studying one of our information technology courses below.
- ICT40120 – Certificate IV in Information Technology (Networking)
- ICT50615 – Diploma of Website Development
- ICT50118 – Diploma of Information Technology
- Certified Cyber Security Professional
- Certified Data Science Professional
- Certified Microsoft Full Stack Developer
- Cloud Computing Certified Professional
Get the latest news from AIICT, industry updates and course information.
A BALANCED APPROACH TO TRAINING WITH DDLS
DDLS is Australia’s largest provider of corporate IT and process training, with the widest portfolio of strategic partners and courses in Australia. For more than 25 years, DDLS has been an award-winning non-accredited training provider, spanning across Australia and into Asia.
DDLS partners with world-class companies to help organisations and individuals in the IT industry remain up-to-date with new processes, technology and platforms to reduce risk and enable efficient business practices.
GAIN A COMPETITIVE EDGE WITH THE MICROSOFT AZURE
Azure Dev Tools for Teaching provides developer tools and learning resources that students need to build their cloud-based skills. It also allows students to build, deploy, and manage applications with comprehensive Azure cloud services. Whether you’re a student getting started, or just interested in building cloud-based skills in your community, this platform has got the cloud development resources you need. Azure based tools and environments are profoundly used during the AIICT learning cycle and assist the students in becoming familiar with the Microsoft Azure environment utilised in the IT industry.
Specifically designed around building your expertise in today’s most popular technologies, the Microsoft Imagine Academy is focused on helping you to gain Microsoft Certification, a globally recognised credential that will give you a distinctive edge in the competitive job market.
GLOBALLY RECOGNISED CERTIFICATIONS TO PUT YOU AHEAD OF THE COMPETITION
For our Certified Cybersecurity Professional course offering, AIICT has partnered with the Computing Technology Industry Association (CompTIA). CompTIA is the leading provider of vendor-neutral IT certifications in the world. These certifications are accredited by International Organisation for Standardisation and the American National Standards Institute (ISO/ANSI)